Friday, November 9, 2012

Week 6: City of Commerce

Hello! This week I am commenting on a classmates blog that discusses the City of Commerce, one of the heavily industrial cities in Los Angeles. Enjoy!

http://lanextexit.blogspot.com/


Hi Gurdeep , I found your analysis of the City of Commerce and the Citadel Outlets to be very interesting. As a Los Angeles native who has been going to this outlet and city for a while to find great deals, I have never really payed attention on the type of things that go on.

I think transportation is key in the city of commerce because of all the trailers and people that need to get to the factories and various of businesses. The outlets are actually right next to the freeway and the sidewalks are very narrow there because the street is mainly there for car use.

I think you can apply the Burgess reading and the maps that we have seen in lecture to this type of city. I believe the center for this city is the industrial part of the city because this is what the city is mainly known for. The busiest part of the city is around the outlets and the factories. I also got lost once in this city because all I could find is factories and factories and hardly any neighborhoods to ask for directions to the freeway. However as soon as you leave the streets where the factories are you start to see the neighborhoods that surround this area. However the neighborhoods do look old, and they definitely have remodeled schools that probably were old as well.

I think its interesting the way you pointed out that this city's main concern is business. The christmas tree a month before the actual holiday just goes to show how they try to influence people to start consuming early. I think for the most part, this city's only interest is providing a center for industrial resources only and have it in the most efficient way, wider streets to transport good in trailers and having this area surrounded by various frequently traveled freeways.

Great blog, you made me see this city and the outlets in a different way!

-Erica Mendez

No comments:

Post a Comment