Friday, October 26, 2012

Beverly Hills!

This week I decided to comment on a blog by a classmate, Monika H, also blogging about Cities and Social Differences, her blog was about Beverly Hills.

Here's the link...

http://mhwelcomingwanderlust.blogspot.com/2012/10/according-to-emile-durkheim-division-of.html#comment-form

Here is my response...



I also agree that Beverly Hills is a very stratified area in Los Angeles. They create and enforce so many rules that it makes it almost impossible for someone who is not living in Beverly Hills or has the amount of wealth that residents do, to be in the city without a purpose.

We were discussing in lecture about how in the 4th urban revolution, every major city has their own center. With that being said, I think the center of Beverly Hills in definitely its high end fashion district, also known for the street Rodeo Drive. A person who is not looking to spend money on overpriced food and clothing, such as Monika was describing, would feel completely out of place.

I have personally been to this area of Beverly Hills, and as a college student, I agree with Monika that I could not casually visit Beverly Hills due to the prices being so high. I went to get Sprinkles cupcakes, which are about $4 each, paid for like 5 minutes of parking and left. And all I can remember doing was starring out my window because I was mesmerized by the luxurious life these residents of Beverly Hills were living.

The restrictions and social rules they have in Beverly Hills make it so only those who can afford this life can live there. Even all apartment buildings have valet parking, most homes are covered by trees and are gated, and streets all have parking signs with "Permit Only" so public parking is no where to be found. All these social rules and city regulations definitely separates residents of Beverly Hills from others who are simply not living the luxurious life that they do. It simply amazes me how stratified cities have become, but I now understand what happened during the 4th Urban Revolution.

Silver fire hydrants are ridiculous! That was probably the first thing I noticed when I passed by Beverly Hills.

2 comments: